Sunday 9 December 2012

A selection of infinite views

This project started out as an idea to occupy one spot, and then photograph everything I could see from this one location. Unfortunately as it has progressed I've realised it's not a very coherent idea and needs more structure to work. I've got 7 photos (below) that show different views from this one spot, but I'm not really sure what I'm trying to _say_. This puts me in a quandary  as I don't really want to produce images just for the sake of it. I was certainly thinking in mono at the time, and have spent quite a bit of time and effort in processing the images, and thinking about how they will look in black and white. However as a group of images I don't  think they hold together well and I don't really know what to do about it. I'm posting them here in the thought that it will help me consider what to try next.








They all show slightly unusual viewpoints, mainly resulting from the choice of lens (most with a wide angle). I have searched out lines and shapes that look a little 'different'.

Unfortunately since I started this project the area over the road (the field) has turned into a work site with diggers constantly there, so this will make further images difficult to get for the next few weeks I would imagine. I like how the black and white works for these images - it suits the subject matter, but I still feel uneasy about the point of it all...

In terms of my tutors suggestions for a successful project:
Succinct: the title says it all... one location, many images and viewpoints
Expansive: well there will always be something new to see wherever we look, depending on time of day, weather and people etc
Manageable: Once again it is close to home for me
Readily contextualized: Not sure about this one, I am yet to determine where this would fit in (more research needed)

I will continue to ponder this one, I am feeling a little apprehensive but think it might yet come together with some more reading on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment